I absolutely love a wedding exit! The bride and groom are surrounded by all their family and friends, and everyone is so excited to see the newlyweds off! I have had so many questions about achieving the picture perfect wedding exit, so I decided to take this information to the blog.
Wedding exits are sometimes done at the very end of the reception, but I have had so many brides to partake in a “faux” exit. A faux exit is a wedding exit that is done before the actual reception ends. I love a “faux” exit because it allows all of your guest the opportunity to participate. Sometimes guest will have to leave the reception before it actually ends and a “faux” exit allows everyone the chance to participate in wishing and seeing the bride & groom off. This is also a great option when you have a limited amount of photography hours and you still want this special moment documented.
Rather you are doing a real wedding exit or a “faux” exit, today I will share with you a few of my tips and techniques to help you achieve the picture perfect wedding exit.
- Sparklers are great for a night time exit. The ambiance that the lights create from the sparklers is breathtaking in photos. Not having a night time wedding exit? Biodegradable confetti, bubbles, and flowers are all great options for daytime exits. Wedding exits can also be done with no props while friends & family cheer and clap!
- Do take your time and walk slowly through the crowd of your excited family & friends. This is the moment when your favorite people will be cheering for you!
- Midway through the exit, stop for a kiss and hold it for a few seconds (hello engagement session rule). These techniques give me (the photographer) the perfect amount of time to capture that special moment.
- Finally, at the end of the exit, pause for a final kiss or wave to the cheering crowd.
Below are a few of my favorite shots from Corbin & Spencer’s wedding exit. You will notice how they stopped midway for a kiss and how they also kissed again at the very end of the exit for more amazing photo opportunities!
- Shelby & Caleb | A Lovely Winter Wedding at The Ivy Venue in Flowood, MS
- For Brides: Tips for Creating a Perfect Wedding Day Timeline
- For Brides: My Top Tips for Completing Family Formal Portraits in 30 Minutes or Less!
- For Brides: Bridal Details | What to Bring on the Wedding Day
- For Brides: The First Look